Instagram videos have some requirements that need to be met before posting. This will depend on your smartphone and if it meets these requirements.
The requirements for using Instagram videos are as follows, taken from Facebook’s website:
- Caption length text: 2,200 characters Max
- Video aspect ratio: Landscape (1.91:1), Square (1:1), Vertical (4:5)
- Minimum resolution: 600 x 315 pixels (1.91:1 landscape) / 600 x 600 pixels (1:1 square) / 600 x 750 pixels (4:5 vertical)
- Minimum length: No minimum
- Maximum length: 60 seconds
- File type: Full list of supported file formats
- Supported video codecs: H.264, VP8
- Supported audio codecs: AAC, Vorbis
- Maximum size: 4GB
- Frame rate: 30fps max
- Bitrate: No limit to bitrate file if you’re using two pass encoding, as long as your file doesn’t exceed 1 GB. Otherwise, 8 megabits per second for 1080p and 4 megabits per second for 720p.
- Thumbnail image ratio: Should match the aspect ratio of your video.
Meeting these requirements shouldn’t be a problem for most modern iOS and Android mobile devices. If you have an older or more obscure smartphone, consider changing to a newer model to take advantage of Instagram videos.